Tuesday, July 1, 2014

every boy and every girl, decaf your life!

I drink decaffeinated coffee. Which is just as weird if not weirder than meeting someone who doesn't drink coffee at all. I started drinking coffee in the form of iced mocha's when I was 17.  It made my bones hurt and even though I didn't know it yet, it was making my blood sugar rise fast and making it fall even faster.  I attributed it to not being used to the caffeine.  I drank iced tea from time to time and rarely finished my own soda.  So drinking an entire medium or large sized iced sugar drink laced with caffeine was probably a shock to my system.  But man they were delicious.  Oh if I could just be normal for a day (more about my blood sugar later).  
It wasn't until a few years ago, as I was wrapping up my time at college and in my very own place, I decided to cut back.  Drinking coffee was keeping me warm in Monterey, California where I was attending school and I like coffee more than I like tea.  Hot cocoa typically has more sugar so I reserve that for special occasions usually shared on winter days with my husband.  I only add milk to my coffee having realized the flavored coffee additives do nothing fantastic for my waistline.  So I dropped to half caffeine, half decaffeinated coffee, affectionately referred to by me as 'half-caff.'  I did this for about 6 months until I decided to make the leap to... decaffeinated only.  I felt better immediately.  No dependence, no foggy head in the mornings, just a nice hot cup of yumminess and no after effects of sore bones or withdrawals.   It's been this way over 5 years now.  At first my brother thought I was ridiculous for having done this, "Why drink coffee at all?" he asked.  I genuinely like the flavor.  But guess who jumped on the decaf bus too?  Yes.  So now, we can enjoy our coffee for what it is and its quite lovely.  Consider it: 'minimizing your dependence.' I'm down to a cup a day and sometimes I treat myself to a second when I'm out shopping or getting my nails done.  I think it's ok to enjoy things.  Don't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment